Creating a Discussion Forum
Instructors and students can communicate and collaborate using Moodle Forums. Instructors can create discussion topics or, depending on the forum type, allow students to originate topics. Course members can then "post" replies, and "subscribe" if they want to receive an email copy of each post made to a particular forum.
There are multiple forum types in Moodle. Some forum types allow only the instructor to start a new topic, and others allow students to start new topics.
Choose the type(s) of forums that make sense for the activities you are asking your students to do:
- A single simple discussion allows for only one topic started by the instructor. This is best suited for short-term, focused conversations.
- Each person posts one discussion allows each student to only start one new topic or conversation within the forum. Students are not limited in the number of replies they can post within those topics.
- Q and A forum allows an instructor to pose a question to students. Students must post their response or answer before they can view other students’ responses.
- Standard forum displayed in a blog-like format allows for the “standard” usage of a discussion forum with multiple topics arranged in a “blog" style format with the first post prominent and comments behind a link. Students may start new topics in this format.
- Standard forum for general use allows for the “standard” usage of a discussion forum with multiple topics arranged in a threaded conversation. Students may start new topics in this format.